Barnsley Hospice has an exciting opportunity for a cook to join our team to provide excellent service to our patients, visitors and staff. You will be welcomed as a valuable member of an experienced and supportive team. The successful candidate will work in our on-site canteen.Youll be working alongside a team of professionals with the freedom to share your knowledge and help shape the team. You should ideally have experience in cooking dishes on a set menu in a similar environment. Youll be proficient and confident working in all sections of the kitchen, as well as helping during service.
Hours: 20 hours per week with some flexibility to cover holidays & sickness – to be discussed at interview.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday, between 14.00 – 18:00.
We would require a member of staff with flexibility, this role will work on a rota basis given with notice and will include some weekends and bank holidays, please only apply if this is suitable for yourself. That job includes preparing, cooking and serving food to our patients, staff and visitors. The ideal candidate will have a valid health and hygiene certificate, but not essential, with previous experience working in a similar environment.
This role will consist of preparing and serving meals and drinks for patients, staff and visitors, cleaning down after service as required.
Youll be working alongside a team of professionals with the freedom to share your knowledge and help shape the team. Youll be proficient and confident working in all sections of the kitchen, as well as helping during service.
That job includes preparing, cooking and serving food to our patients, staff and visitors.
Cooking a range of healthy and nutritious dishes to an exceptional standard.
Working within a team environment to ensure everything is running smoothly
Following strict health and hygiene standards
Following recipes and providing meals with quality, consistency and within timing standards
Completing assignments provided by senior staff members.
Learning new skills and methods to improve overall team performance.
Work to a set flexible three-week menu rotation, making additional options available where possible.
Visit IPU patients twice daily to discuss their requirements and ensure menu planning for special diets.
Comply with the relevant Health and Safety, Food Hygiene and Food Safety Standards.
Barnsley Hospice delivers wide-ranging support and personalised care to improve the quality of life and wellbeing for people with specialist palliative and end of life care needs. The service is available for all adults registered with a Barnsley GP, as well as their family and friends.
The Hospice has 10 inpatient beds, and also provides support and wellbeing services and counselling services to patients, families and friends. The hospice is a registered charity governed by a Board of Trustees. Fundraising and retail are vital activities of the hospice. We employ over 100 staff and benefit from the help and support of a large volunteer workforce.
We are committed to Equality, Diversity & Inclusion in all that we do and welcome applications from all sections of the community. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, LGBTQIA+ candidates and candidates with disabilities because we are committed to increasing the representation of these groups at Barnsley Hospice.
To deliver a high-quality catering service across the Hospice, offering a range of healthy and nutritious food and drinks to patients, relatives, visitors and staff.
1. Prepare and produce all meals to the high standard required throughout the Hospice, offering a range of healthy and nutritious food and drink choices for patients, visitors and staff.
2. Work to a set flexible three-week menu rotation, making additional options available where possible.
3. Participate in, and in the absence of the Catering Team Leader co-ordinate, with IPU Staff daily to discuss patient requirements and ensure menu planning for special diets (Allergens).
4. Comply with the relevant Health and Safety, Food Hygiene and Food Safety Standards. Raise any concerns with the Catering Team Leader.
5. Clean Hospice kitchens and catering areas, following set cleaning schedules in line with Environmental health standards. Record all cleaning duties and temperature checks.
6. Ensure that the hospice vending machines are checked and restocked daily
Supplies and Security
1. In the absence of the Catering Team Leader, take responsibility for stock control and rotation of food supplies, keeping accurate records as appropriate.
2. In the absence of the Catering Team Leader, order food supplies from agreed suppliers as required and receive deliveries.
3. Safe usage of all catering and cleaning equipment and materials in accordance with Hospice policy and guidelines.
4. Ensure that catering equipment and supplies are locked away at the end of shifts.
1. In the absence of the Catering Team Leader take the operational lead and supervise bank assistant cooks and volunteers ensuring that standards of service are maintained.
2. Assist in the training of new or less experienced staff.
1. To undertake any other duties, commensurate with the role as required by management.
2. To act as an ambassador of the Hospice, maintaining honesty, integrity and trustworthiness at all times.
3. The post holder will be expected to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
4. The post holder will ensure that they are aware of and apply health and safety and fire precautions across the practice.
5. The post holder is to ensure data protection is maintained at all times
6. The post holder will support the Hospice as required, across the range of his/her duties as appropriate within the grading of this post. In the context of rapid and ongoing change within the Hospice, the above responsibilities represent the current priorities and requirements for the post. These priorities will develop and evolve over time. Any significant changes will be the subject of full communication and consultation with the post holder.